Governor Degamo Killed in Shooting at Residence in Pamplona
In a tragic turn of events, Roel Degamo, the governor of Negros Oriental province in the central Philippines, and five other civilians were killed in a shooting that occurred at his residence in Pamplona on Saturday. The attack was perpetrated by a group of men wearing pixelized uniforms and in full battle gear. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., who Degamo endorsed in the May 2022 elections, condemned the incident and warned the perpetrators to surrender if they wished to avoid being brought to justice.
Mayor Janice Degamo, the widow of the governor, confirmed the death in a Facebook video posted on the governor's official page. She said that Degamo did not deserve the kind of death he was given as he was serving his constituents on a Saturday along with his department heads. She asked the national government to bring justice to their family and give her husband the justice he deserves.
The Supreme Court had earlier affirmed Degamo's proclamation as Negros Oriental governor after the High Court dismissed a petition filed by Pryde Henry Teves against the Commission on Elections for “awarding the votes garnered by a nuisance candidate in favor of Gov. Roel Degamo.”
The attack on Degamo is the latest in a series of high-profile gun attacks on local politicians in the Philippines, underscoring the persistent level of criminal violence against government officials despite the government's pledge to combat such violence. In February, Vice Mayor Rommel Alameda of Aparri town in Nueva Vizcaya province in the northern Philippines was killed in an ambush by unidentified men reportedly wearing police uniforms.
According to Police/LtCol. Gerard Ace Pelare, spokesperson of the Region VII police, six suspects with “long firearms” perpetuated the shooting and fled onboard two SUVs. In Barangay Kansumalig, Bayawan City, Negros Oriental, at least three getaway vehicles were discovered abandoned, and approximately 10 individuals were spotted running away from the area.
Pelare said that authorities were still conducting hot pursuit operations in coordination with the Philippine Army to bring the perpetrators to justice. He added that they were also coordinating with all hospitals to finalize the names of the victims and their respective status. He concluded by saying that they will not stop until this case is resolved and all other ambush incidents that have occurred in the past few days are brought to justice.
0. “Governor assassinated in latest attack on Philippine politicians” The National, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/asia/2023/03/04/governor-assassinated-in-latest-attack-on-philippine-politicians/
1. “Negros Oriental governor, five others shot dead in Philippines” Al Jazeera English, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/3/4/governor-and-others-shot-central-philippines
2. “Filipino Governor Roel Degamo among 6 dead in shooting” BNO News, 4 Mar. 2023, https://bnonews.com/index.php/2023/03/filipino-governor-roel-degamo-among-6-dead-in-shooting/
3. “Negros Oriental governor killed while tending to 4Ps beneficiaries” Philstar.com, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2023/03/04/2249281/negros-oriental-governor-killed-while-tending-4ps-beneficiaries
4. “Negros Oriental Governor Roel Degamo killed in attack” Rappler, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.rappler.com/nation/visayas/negros-oriental-governor-roel-degamo-attack-march-4-2023/
5. “Philippine Shooting: Provincial Governor Roel Degamo, Five Others Shot Dead by Gunmen While Meeting” LatestLY, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.latestly.com/agency-news/philippine-shooting-provincial-governor-roel-degamo-five-others-shot-dead-by-gunmen-while-meeting-villagers-in-pamplona-town-4909349.html
6. “3 suspects in murder of Negros Oriental governor nabbed” INQUIRER.net, 4 Mar. 2023, https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1738356/3-suspects-in-murder-of-negros-oriental-governor-nabbed
7. “Governor dead, five others killed in Philippine attack” benarnews, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.benarnews.org/english/news/philippine/political-violence-03042023080014.html