Greece Mourns Worst Rail Disaster in Decades, Station Manager Arrested
Greece is reeling in the wake of its worst rail disaster in decades, after a passenger train carrying around 350 people collided with a freight train near the city of Larissa on Tuesday. On Wednesday, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis declared that the incident was “mainly due to tragic human error.” The country's federal Transportation Minister Kostas Karamanlis announced his resignation the same day, saying it was his “duty” to do so “as a minimum sign of respect” to the victims.
At least 43 people were killed and 85 injured in the crash, which took place near the town of Tempe, about 255 miles north of Athens. Many of the passengers were university students returning home after celebrating Carnival.
The station manager of a train station in Larissa was taken into custody as part of the inquiry into the collision that occurred. Supreme Court Prosecutor Isidoros Dogiakos has called on the investigating Larissa prosecutor to broaden his search in all directions to identify those responsible for the deadly rail collision.
Protests against the neglect of the Greek railways erupted in Athens and other cities, with demonstrations in Thessaloniki and Patras turning violent when protesters began throwing stones and petrol bombs.
Hellenic Train, which was among an array of public utilities privatised at the height of the country’s debt crisis, has long been criticized for staffing shortfalls and outdated equipment.
The crash has left the nation in deep mourning and seeking justice for the victims.
0. “Hard Numbers: Greek train crash, US attaches strings to chip cash, Serbia and Kosovo outline peace, camel copies for sale” GZERO Media, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.gzeromedia.com/hard-numbers-greek-train-crash-us-attaches-strings-to-chip-cash-serbia-and-kosovo-outline-peace-camel-copies-for-sale
1. “Anger boils over train crash in Greece, as audio released of driver being told to ignore red light” CNN, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/europe/greece-train-crash-larissa-protests-intl/index.html
2. “The Horrific Greek Train Tragedy” Rediff.com, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.rediff.com/news/report/the-horrific-greek-train-tragedy/20230302.htm
3. “Dozens dead in Greek rail collision between passenger and freight trains” The Week, 1 Mar. 2023, https://theweek.com/accidents/1021411/dozens-dead-in-greece-in-high-speed-rail-collision-between-passenger-and-freight
4. “Anger Grows as Greece Counts Its Dead from the Train Disaster” Greek Reporter, 3 Mar. 2023, https://greekreporter.com/2023/03/03/anger-greece-train-disaster/
5. “Rescue and recovery efforts continue after Greece train collision kills dozens” CBS News, 1 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/video/rescue-and-recovery-efforts-continue-after-greece-train-collision-kills-dozens
6. “Greek train crash: effort to find bodies expected to end as anger grows” The Guardian, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/03/greek-train-crash-effort-to-find-bodies-expected-to-end-as-anger-grows