King Charles and Queen Camilla to Make Historic State Visits to France and Germany
Buckingham Palace has announced that King Charles III and Queen Camilla will make their first state visits of the reign to France and Germany later this month. The trip, which will take place from March 26 to 31, will celebrate the UK’s relationship with France and Germany, marking shared histories, culture and values.
The King and Queen will first visit Paris, where they will join French President Emmanuel Macron and wife Brigitte Macron for a ceremony of remembrance at the Arc de Triomphe. Camilla and Mrs Macron will officially open a new Manet and Degas exhibition at the Musée d’Orsay, while the King will address senators and members of the National Assembly at the French Senate. The couple will later attend a state banquet at Versailles.
The royal couple will then travel to Germany, where they will receive a ceremonial welcome at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, hosted by President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and wife Elke Büdenbender. King Charles will address the Bundestag, the German Federal Parliament, and Queen Camilla will visit the Komische Oper in Berlin to learn more about the opera company’s outreach projects and community engagement. The couple will also visit Hamburg, where they will take a moment of reflection at the St. Nikolai Memorial, the remains of a church which was destroyed when the Allies bombed the city during the Second World War.
During their state visit, the royal couple will travel to Bordeaux to explore an organic vineyard that utilizes solar energy and follows a sustainable method of wine production. A by-product of winemaking is the production of make-up. The King will witness first-hand the devastation caused by last summer’s wildfires, hearing from emergency workers and the local community about their experiences. The visit will come shortly after the bilateral UK/France summit which is scheduled between UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and French President Emmanuel Macron next Friday, March 10.
0. “King Charles heading to France and Germany later this month” POLITICO Europe, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.eu/article/king-charles-france-germany-state-visit/
1. “King Charles and Queen Camilla Announce Destination of First Royal Tour” PEOPLE, 3 Mar. 2023, https://people.com/royals/king-charles-queen-camilla-first-tour-new-reign-france-germany/
2. “King and Queen announce destination for ‘historic’ first royal tour” AOL, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.aol.com/news/king-queen-consort-historic-trip-134440863.html
3. “King Charles risks more accusations he is wading into politics as he announces European tour” Daily Mail, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11816745/King-Charles-travel-France-Germany-month-state-visits-Britains-monarch.html
4. “King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla’s First International Tour Will Emphasize Ties to Europe” Vanity Fair, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2023/03/king-charles-and-queen-consort-camillas-first-international-tour
5. “King's first state visit confirmed as Charles and Camilla go to Paris and Berlin in weeks” Express, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1741850/king-charles-state-visit-france-germany-latest
6. “King's state tour to Europe ‘part of No 10's plan to strengthen post-Brexit ties'” The Telegraph, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/03/03/king-charles-address-french-senate-state-visit-france-germany/
7. “King Charles to travel to France and Germany in first state visits” BBC, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64836097
8. “Charles III chooses France for his first state visit abroad as king” The Connexion, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/Charles-III-chooses-France-for-his-first-state-visit-abroad-as-king