Nationwide Protests in France Against Macron’s Pension Reforms
France is in the midst of a nationwide protest against pension reforms proposed by President Emmanuel Macron. Macron intends to increase the retirement age from 62 to 64, a move that is opposed by 67 percent of the population. Unions are also standing together against the government, with a major transport strike planned for March 7th. Meanwhile, the French Air Traffic Controllers have announced that they will strike from March 6-10, leading to flight cancellations and schedule reductions.
The government argues that raising the retirement age will help to balance the pension system, but unions say small increases in contributions could keep the pension system solvent. They also contend that the proposed measures are unfair, as they will disproportionately affect low-skilled workers and women. Demonstrations have been held across the country, with large crowds gathering in Marseille, Paris, and other major cities.
It remains to be seen how the government will respond to these protests and what the outcome of the pension reform will be. For now, however, it is clear that the public is not happy with Macron’s proposed reforms and that they’re willing to take to the streets to make their voices heard.
0. “‘We can defeat Macron’: Why women’s anger is fuelling French pension protests” FRANCE 24 English, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.france24.com/en/france/20230307-we-can-defeat-macron-why-women-s-anger-is-fuelling-french-pension-protests
1. “Protests and disruption in France as transport workers start strikes” The Guardian, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/07/france-braced-for-huge-disruption-as-transport-workers-start-rolling-strikes
2. “Opinion | Macron's retirement reforms undermine the French republic” The Washington Post, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/25/france-retirement-reforms-macron/
3. “French Air Traffic Controller Strike March 7 – 9, 2023” LoyaltyLobby, 3 Mar. 2023, https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/03/02/french-air-traffic-controller-strike-march-7-9-2023
4. “Air Traffic Controllers Strike: Royal Air Maroc to Cancel Flights To, From Paris” Morocco World News, 6 Mar. 2023, https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2023/03/354324/air-traffic-controllers-strike-royal-air-maroc-to-cancel-flights-to-from-paris