NPC Standing Committee Concludes 39th Session, Confirms 2,977 National Legislators
BEIJING, March 2, 2023 – The 39th session of the Standing Committee of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) was held in Beijing on Thursday. Li Zhanshu, chairman of the NPC Standing Committee, presided over the closing meeting of the session. The end of the session signals progress in China's legislative efforts, as the country continues to build a stronger system of governance and legislation.
At the meeting, the Standing Committee of the 13th National People's Congress adopted a series of documents for the upcoming session, including a draft list of proposed candidates for members of the presidium of the session as well as the presidium's executive chairperson, secretary-general and deputy secretaries-general, a draft list of proposed candidates for the session's proposals examination committee, and the agenda for the preparatory meeting of the session. Other bills of appointments or removals were approved.
The meeting also listened to the work report of the Central Committee’s Politburo and, most importantly, it deliberated two proposed name lists of the leading personnel of the state organs and of the National Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC). The first meeting of the Presidium of the 14th National People’s Congress (NPC) and the first meeting of the Presidium of the 14th Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) have both received the two name lists.
Lawmakers also approved a report reviewing the qualifications of the 14th NPC deputies and confirmed the validity of 2,977 deputies to the 14th NPC. In addition, they passed a report on the qualifications of some 13th NPC deputies. The 13th National People's Congress is composed of 2,918 deputies.
A report was released confirming that 2,977 deputies are qualified, and the National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee has disclosed a list of the national legislators on its website. 16.69% of the population are workers and farmers, an increase of 0.99 percentage points; technicians make up 21.3%, up 0.73 percentage points; and officials elected as deputies account for 32.55%, a decrease of 1.38 percentage points. The total number of deputies is 497, and they are comprised of workers and The proportion of their representation among the deputies increased by nearly one percent, and now stands at 16.69 percent.
0. “CGTN: Understanding China's whole-process people's democracy at Two Sessions” EIN News, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/619864349/cgtn-understanding-china-s-whole-process-people-s-democracy-at-two-sessions
1. “China's top legislature starts standing committee session” SHINE News, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.shine.cn/news/nation/2302236553/
2. “China's National People's Congress Standing Committee Conclu…” MENAFN.COM, 26 Feb. 2023, https://menafn.com/1105647477/Chinas-National-Peoples-Congress-Standing-Committee-Concludes-39th-Session-in-Beijing
3. “China's top political advisory body holds leadership meeting” SHINE News, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.shine.cn/news/nation/2303026807/
4. “OPINION – China’s Institutional Reform and Leadership Change” Macau Business, 4 Mar. 2023, https://www.macaubusiness.com/opinion-chinas-institutional-reform-and-leadership-change
5. “More women elected to sit as NPC deputies” China Daily, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202302/25/WS63f9451ba31057c47ebb0cd0.html
6. “China Focus: Deputies to 14th NPC broadly representative” China Daily, 25 Feb. 2023, https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202302/25/WS63f95867a31057c47ebb0d4e.html