One Year of War: A Grim Anniversary for Ukraine and Russia
Friday marks one year since Russia launched a devastating war against Ukraine that continues to rage on. In the last year, the combined military and civilian casualties have been estimated to be close to 300,000, and more than 8 million Ukrainians have been displaced, both internally and externally. Russia's hopes of a quick victory have been dashed, and the war looks set to continue for some time yet.
The U.S. has provided Ukraine with more than $113 billion in assistance, more than half of which has been in the form of military aid. This includes tanks, fighter jets, and other military equipment, as well as financial and humanitarian aid. However, despite this assistance, the war has reached a stalemate, with neither side making significant advances for months.
The conflict has taken a heavy toll on both sides, with analysts estimating that about 200,000 Russian troops have been killed or wounded, and Ukraine has seen some 100,000 killed or wounded in action, and 30,000 civilian deaths. Russia has continued to target Ukrainian civilian infrastructure with missile and drone strikes, and Western allies have agreed to a new wave of weapons in the hope of shifting the balance.
This Friday marks a grim anniversary of this destructive war, and what is certain is that neither side will be able to make any meaningful progress while the other continues to fight. The only hope of a resolution lies in diplomacy and dialogue, and it is hoped that both sides can come to a peaceful agreement before any more lives are lost.
0. “A year into Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, what have we learned?” The Hill, 23 Feb. 2023, https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3870855-a-year-into-russias-invasion-of-ukraine-what-have-we-learned
1. “How the World Changed Since Russia's Invasion of Ukraine” TIME, 22 Feb. 2023, https://time.com/6256509/ukraine-russia-war-anniversary/
2. “Where does your country stand on the Russia-Ukraine war?” Al Jazeera English, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/16/mapping-where-every-country-stands-on-the-russia-ukraine-war
3. “One year in, TV's war correspondents keep covering the front lines” The Washington Post, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/02/22/ukraine-war-anniversary-tv-media/
4. “One Year of Russia’s War on Ukraine, in Graphs” The Moscow Times, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/02/23/one-year-of-russias-war-on-ukraine-in-graphs-a80313