Ukraine intercepts 37 Russian missiles and 30 drones in largest attack on Kyiv yet
Ukraine has reported that it shot down more than 37 cruise Russian missiles and 30 drones overnight, with more explosions heard across the nation’s capital on Monday morning. Missiles were launched by Russia's strategic bombers from a location far behind their border near the Caspian Sea, while drones made by Iran were launched from both the north and south directions. According to the Ukrainian General Staff, a total of 40 Kh-101/Kh-555 air-launched cruise missiles and 38 Shahed-131/136 drones were launched by Russian forces on the night of May 28-29, followed by 11 Iskander-M/K missiles during the day on May 29. According to Ukrainian authorities, Kyiv City and Kyiv Oblast were targeted by 11 Iskander missiles, 40 cruise missiles, and Shahed drones, but all were intercepted by Ukrainian forces. According to reports from Ukrainian sources, missiles and drones were intercepted by Ukrainian forces in the vicinity of Lviv, Mykolaiv, and Odesa. Additionally, Russian forces targeted the port infrastructure in Odesa City and a military infrastructure facility in Khmelnytskyi Oblast.
While most of the ground fighting is stalemated along the main front line in the country’s east and south, both sides are targeting other territory with long-range weapons. Kyiv has been spared from destruction similar to that seen on the main front line in the east and south of the country, thanks to advanced Western air defense systems, including Patriot missiles made in America. Thanks to advanced air defense systems supplied by the West, Ukraine has been successful in preventing Russian air assaults, including those carried out by drones and missile-equipped aircraft.
Over the weekend and again on Monday morning, Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital, was subjected to Russia's biggest assault yet. Tuesday’s attack, which marks the 17th aerial assault on the capital this month, came after the city was attacked twice on Monday, including a rare daytime strike. The governor of the region has reported that the number of casualties from the Russian missile assault on a medical facility in Dnipro has increased from two to four people.
While Russia was vulnerable to strikes from Ukrainian drones in the early months of the war, it soon adapted to improve its electronic warfare and has since been successfully downing and jamming many of Ukraine's drones. Ukrainian forces are using the drones' “advanced optics and sensors to guide other drones for attacks while staying out of range of Russian air and EW systems,” according to military officials.
The ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine has been ongoing since 2014 when Russia annexed Crimea. Despite multiple ceasefires and diplomatic efforts, the fighting continues, with both sides claiming the other is at fault for the violence. The conflict has resulted in the deaths of over 13,000 people and displaced millions. The recent escalation in hostilities has raised concerns among Western governments, with many calling for an end to the violence and a peaceful resolution to the conflict.
0. “Russia's War in Ukraine Latest News Updates: May 29, 2023” Bloomberg, 29 May. 2023, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-29/ukraine-recap-kyiv-fends-off-second-massive-barrage-in-two-days
1. “Russia launched ‘largest drone attack' on Ukrainian capital” C4ISRNET, 28 May. 2023, https://www.c4isrnet.com/flashpoints/ukraine/2023/05/28/russia-launched-largest-drone-attack-on-ukrainian-capital/
2. “Russia launches missiles over Kyiv as Moscow moves troops to Bakhmut” Euronews, 29 May. 2023, https://www.euronews.com/2023/05/29/ukraine-war-russia-launches-more-missiles-over-kyiv-as-moscow-moves-troops-to-bakhmut
3. “Russia-Ukraine war live: one dead in fire caused by falling debris as Kyiv comes under third attack in 24 hours” The Guardian, 30 May. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/may/30/russia-ukraine-war-live-house-on-fire-in-kyiv-as-capital-comes-under-third-attack-in-24-hours
4. “Russia-Ukraine war at a glance: what we know on day 460 of the invasion” The Guardian, 29 May. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/29/russia-ukraine-war-at-a-glance-what-we-know-on-day-460-of-the-invasion