Andrew and Tristan Tate Released from Romanian Jail into House Arrest After Successful Appeal
Andrew Tate and his brother Tristan have been released from a Romanian jail into house arrest after a successful appeal against their detention in December 2021. The brothers, along with two associates, have been under investigation for alleged rape, people trafficking, and forming an organized crime group. The investigation began in April 2021, and since then, six women have been identified by prosecutors as victims. Leaked court documents obtained by the BBC highlighted the evidence from alleged victims, claiming they were forced to earn €10,000 (£8,800) a month on social media platforms, under the alleged threat of physical violence.
Andrew Tate, a former kickboxer, gained notoriety online for his controversial views and sexist comments, with Twitter banning him from the platform for saying women should “bear responsibility” for being sexually assaulted. He was also removed from British TV show Big Brother in 2016 over a video that allegedly showed him attacking a woman. However, Tate hit back, claiming the video was consensual and that he was “acting out a role play.”
The brothers were arrested on December 29, 2021, along with two other suspects, and have been held in pre-trial detention ever since, which was again extended last week. Andrew Tate's Twitter account was allowed back after Elon Musk bought the company. In January, Romanian authorities descended on a compound near Bucharest linked with the Tate brothers and towed away a fleet of luxury cars that included a Rolls-Royce, a Ferrari, and a Porsche. Assets with an approximate value of $3.9 million were reported as seized.
Lawyers for Mr Tate argued that keeping him in preventative custody is unnecessarily harsh when other judicial options such as house arrest are available. A spokesperson for the Tate brothers said last week, following a previous attempt at release: “The court has decided to extend the Tate brothers’ preventative arrest. We have been rendered speechless by the news.”
Tate's investigation will continue as he remains under house arrest, after the Bucharest Court of Appeal ruled in his favor. Andrew Tate's communications director, Mateea Petrescu, told Sky News: “They are not a flight risk, and they are not a danger to public safety; therefore, [the authorities] have decided to release them under house arrest.” Speaking after his release, Tate said: “Freedom at last. It's a bit emotional. I've been in one room since last year, so it's a little bit emotional. I wanna give respect firstly to the judges who heard us today because they were very attentive and they listened to us and let us free, so I have to give absolute respect to them. I have no resentment in my heart for the country of Romania or anyone else. I just believe in the truth. I believe in God, and the fire of truth will eventually destroy all lies, and anybody who lies on a long enough time frame will feel the sting of regret, and I believe in this.
0. “Andrew Tate released from jail in Romania and placed under house arrest” Sky News, 31 Mar. 2023, https://news.sky.com/story/andrew-tate-released-from-jail-and-placed-under-house-arrest-his-spokesperson-says-12846734
1. “Is Andrew Tate released from Romanian prison?: details inside” Geo News, 31 Mar. 2023, https://www.geo.tv/latest/479640-is-andrew-tate-released-from-romanian-prison-details-inside
2. “Andrew Tate and brother to be moved to house arrest” BBC, 31 Mar. 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65144651
3. “Andrew Tate and his brother ‘ecstatic' after they are released from Romanian prison and placed under house…” LBC, 31 Mar. 2023, https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/andrew-tate-and-brother-released-under-house-arrest-in-romania-with-immediate-ef/
4. “Andrew Tate freed from Romanian prison after being locked up for three months” Express, 31 Mar. 2023, https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/1753513/Andrew-Tate-Romania-prison-release
5. “Tate to leave Romanian jail, be put under house arrest” RTE.ie, 31 Mar. 2023, https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2023/0331/1367587-andrew-tate/
6. “Andrew Tate released from jail after winning appeal, isn't out of the woods yet” Marca English, 31 Mar. 2023, https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/celebrities/2023/03/31/6427564a268e3e121c8b45ec.html
7. “Andrew Tate and brother Tristan spotted for first time as they leave prison” The Mirror, 31 Mar. 2023, https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/breaking-andrew-tate-tristan-prison-29602612
8. “Andrew Tate free from Romanian ‘cockroach' jail hell after 3 months of appeals” Daily Star, 29 Mar. 2023, https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/andrew-tate-free-romanian-cockroach-29578679
9. “Freed Andrew Tate says he has ‘absolute clarity of thought' after house arrest release from jail” Daily Mail, 31 Mar. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11925887/Andrew-Tate-brother-two-alleged-female-accomplices-RELEASED-house-arrest.html
10. “Andrew Tate reveals his next plan in first emotional speech since releasing from jail” The News International, 1 Apr. 2023, https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/1056206-what-will-andrew-tate-do-first-after-being-released-from-jail