King Charles III and Queen Camilla Embark on Historic Overseas Visit to France and Germany
King Charles III and Queen Camilla are set for their first overseas visit as monarch and consort, travelling to France and Germany from March 26 to March 31. Buckingham Palace has confirmed the destination of their five-day tour, which will celebrate Britain’s relationship with France and Germany, and mark their shared histories, culture and values.
The royal couple will travel to Paris and Berlin, where a number of firsts will be experienced as the host countries mark the historic trip of the nation's new head of state. Charles will be the first British monarch to give a speech from the French Senate chamber, to senators and national assembly members, and the first UK sovereign to address German politicians from the Bundestag.
The visit to France will include a spectacular state banquet at Chateau de Versailles, hosted by President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte Macron, and a ceremony of Remembrance and wreath laying at the Arc de Triomphe. Camilla and the French first lady Brigitte Macron will officially open the new Manet and Degas exhibition at the Musée d’Orsay, while Charles will witness some of the devastation caused by last summer's wildfires on the outskirts of the city.
In Germany, the King and Queen Consort will be received at a ceremonial welcome at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, which is believed to be the first time that symbolic venue has been used for the start of a state visit. Charles will meet refugees from the conflict in Ukraine and will hear about the support provided for them when they arrive in Germany. There will also be a State Banquet hosted by the Presidential couple, and the King will address the Bundestag, the German Federal Parliament.
In 2015, Queen Elizabeth II undertook the last state visit to Germany by the UK, and in 2014 she visited France. His Majesty has made 35 official visits to France, and 29 to Germany, while the Queen Consort has been on eight official visits to France, and three to Germany.
This visit will be the first foreign trip since Charles became monarch last year after the death of his mother, The Queen. He has made 34 official visits to France and 28 to Germany as Prince of Wales, while Camilla has undertaken 8 official visits to France, and 3 to Germany.
0. “King Charles and Queen Camilla Announce Destination of First Royal Tour” PEOPLE, 3 Mar. 2023, https://people.com/royals/king-charles-queen-camilla-first-tour-new-reign-france-germany/
1. “King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla's first state visit of their reign confirmed” HELLO!, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/20230303165837/king-charles-queen-consort-first-state-visit-of-reign/
2. “King and Queen Consort to make first state visit to France” NewsChain, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.newschainonline.com/news/king-and-queen-consort-to-make-first-state-visit-to-france-323627
3. “King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla Will Make Their First State Visit to France and Germany” Town & Country, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a43177152/king-charles-queen-camilla-state-visit-france-germany-details
4. “King Charles to travel to France and Germany in first state visits” BBC, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64836097
5. “King Charles to make first overseas visits to France and Germany, Buckingham Palace confirms” Sky News, 3 Mar. 2023, https://news.sky.com/story/king-charles-to-make-first-overseas-visits-to-france-and-germany-buckingham-palace-confirms-12824446